How to File a Third Party Claim in Montana

People who have been injured by the negligence of another person or party might have to file a claim with the insurance company of the responsible party. For example, in a car accident, a person injured by an at-fault driver might file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. That company will then compensate the injured person for expenses incurred because of the crash. This would be considered a third party insurance claim.

With a third party claim, the injured party might be able to make a claim for things that might not be covered under the insurance policy. For example, in a first party claim, a policyholder who didn’t pay extra for a car rental after an accident wouldn’t be able to ask the insurance company to cover the cost of a rental. However, in a third-party claim, the victim of the crash would be able to file a claim with the at-fault insurance company for coverage of a car rental regardless of what the at-fault driver’s policy covers.

To file a third party claim, you should get the policy information and contact information from the at-fault party. If you were involved in a car accident, write down the other driver’s name, license number, contact information, driver’s license number, insurance company, and insurance policy number (if possible).

Call the insurance company to report the incident and inform the adjuster of the at-fault party’s liability. You might also want to contact a personal injury attorney before giving the company an official statement. The company will likely ask you for a verbal or written statement regarding the accident. An attorney can draft a response on your behalf that will prevent you from accidentally placing some of the liability on yourself.

If the insurance company denies your claim, an attorney can then help you file a third party lawsuit. Our firm can offer you skilled Billings personal injury lawyers dedicated to helping the victims of negligence seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. Let us take a look at your case and offer recommendations about your best course of legal action.

Contact us at (406) 640-4441 today!